Tuesday 10 January 2017

‘I am the last and highest court of appeal in detection.’


I, much like everyone else, have grown up with character of Sherlock Holmes. I doubt I could add much to many essays that have already been written about Conan-Doyle's most famous creation. The fact that the character was demanded to be brought back to life says all about the longevity of the character.

I cannot be sure what was my first introduction to the character. I used to watch the Granada series, with Jeremy Brett and David Burke/Edward Hardwicke, The Basil Rathbone/ Nigel Bruce series of the 1940s and, of course Walt Disney's Basil, The Great Mouse Detective. The series is just fun. I think we all appreciate the expert character, the person who enters the scene and knows immediately what they are doing. 

I think my interpretation is of the man in the earlier stories. In A Study in Scarlet, Holmes is in his early 30s. He is a mixture of Rathbone and Cushing, at least I think so... sometimes you cannot rely on even your own mind.

And now my favourite quote from the stories, as featured in Silver Blaze:

    "Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
     "To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
     "The dog did nothing in the night-time."
     "That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.

This always gives me goose-bumps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment